Monday, January 26, 2009

Day 27 - K.C.'s Feather


This feather is from a Tawny Frogmouth Owl whom I had the privilege of raising from a tiny few days old. He fell out of his tree during a wild storm and 2 kids found him. I called him KC after their initials. As he grew, I had to teach him to hunt for his food, (mealy grubs, cockroaches - live ones, crickets, big moths and finally - live mice ) which I'd hide every dusk under leaves and some scattered dirt on the floor. He slept all day high up on a big branch in our large laundry. It was so hard not to pick him up and mother him, as he was very very cute when little. When he became old enough to fend for himself and was flying well I released him back into a suitable sheltered spot out of the city. That was one of the hardest things I've ever done!
Bonus shot of KC at about 2 months old, and yes he had the biggest bluest eyes you can possibly imagine.Answer to essjaynz - I was a native bird carer for 8-9 years, a registered ranger in Queensland's B.I.R.O (birds,injured,rescued,orphaned.)

11 comments:

  1. very nice shot!! i would think it would even look cool closer still to the drop...lovely shot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sad story in a way but a lovely photo. Great idea to use a water drop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful mother/provider you made. He must have been so tiny when you got him. Lovely photo and tale. Do you rescue birds often?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! Such a touching story and beautiful little creature. I love the bit of water on the feather like a tiny magnifying glass. I think God keeps a hand on your shoulder because you seem like such a caring wonderful person.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, perfect - my comments finally get through :) Pretty much in time to allow me to express my appreciation for the sometimes quite different view on things you introduced. Today's shot is quite "wow", with everything in place and that natural lupe as a nice eye catcher. Great gallery, hope to see some more stunning pics from you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, what a perfectly good saintly person you are. I am glad you knew what you were doing so tha tyou could really fix him and get him free again. Very well done. And he looks so cute. Have you seen him again since you let him go?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! What a great story! We have rescued a few birds here as well. We had to feed them baby food with a syringe. Then when they could flu we let them go. My daughter would love it at your house. Sounds like you are kinder spirits.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow! Thats amazing? Do you have to have qualifications to get into the wildlife care thing? I think I'd really like to dedicate some spare time to it.

    The only thing stopping me is I have a cat, so I can't bring things home (Don't worry, he's an indoor cat, I'd never let him out to do the damage the outdoor cats do.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The baby KC shot is super cute! Terrific capture of the waterdrop magnifying the feather. Thanks for doing all the wonderful animal protection work. I also love animals and your story warms my heart.

    ReplyDelete